Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Do You Realize?

Are you folks all aware of the sheer bulk of music that's out there? Did you know there are over twenty releases just by Black Flag? That's not even including whatever Henry Rollins is doing right now (I bet he's sitting at home staring lovingly at his muscles). And Zappa? The last four pages of the Rykodisc catalog are ALL Zappa albums, and who the hell needs the Japanese import version of Sheik Yerbouti anyways?

As stated last time, I'm slowly working my way through distributor catalogs. On the advice of Brian at Galaxy Music, I am limiting myself to about half an hour sittings. It's like driving through the Great Plains, your eyes just go all fuzzy and a little voice starts saying, "Yes, you will need all the Minutemen albums...you can't have a record store without them..."

So far I've waded through Merge, Matador, SST, Sub Pop, Rykodisc and Nonesuch. 4AD, Kill Rock Stars and Saddle Creek are on the docket for this afternoon. Input is greatly appreciated, especially in the fields of punk and hiphop, where I am completely ignorant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey bobby,

don't forget constellation and that whole montreal mafia, plus thrill jockey, drag city ... and the essential kraut-rock stuff: can, neu!, faust, etc. ... here are some bands you need entire catalogs for, just because i say so: yo la tengo, velvet underground, xiu xiu (they have loads of hard-to-find ep's). can you aren't my mother play an instore? have you heard of the parenthetical girls?!!!! check out slender means society; seriously! and give me a call soon, jackoff!

-ben k.

Anonymous said...

on the punk tip label wise, all i can think of that you dont already have (and might actually already have) are: fat wreck, no idea, reignition (and art injection but....thats just marathon and fire when ready, no?)....ill have to go put on some bad religion to motivate me and transport me back to cooler and punkier times and see if i can dig anything else up....