Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Combination of Doing and Writing About Doing

If I were a smarter man, I'd have pictures for you. Alas.

Sorry there's been no action on ye ol' weblog, but that should not be taken to mean that I am sitting around on my couch. Although right now, I'm sitting around on my couch. And a lot of the work I've been doing involves sitting around on my couch.

The prototype shelving unit has been built and unbuilt. It is the type of thing you can build and unbuild very easily if you have special powers. Powers like a power drill. It's about four feet across and will hold around 450 cds. After a fair amount of hemming and hawing we've decided to seal it with polyeurethane rather than paint it. The stuff it's built out of, MDF, is like superdense cardboard and, like cardboard, will soak up any sort of moisture that gets near it.

Speaking of moisture, let's talk water staining! Yup, the ceilings need a little bit of love. The landlord has assured me that all those leaks have been fixed (somehow magically without disturbing the ceiling they were leaking onto), but a whole bunch of panels need to be cut and replaced.

Also, No Radio Records has its very first employee! Photog and fellow Gimme-vet Amy Pennington will be grinning at you from behind the counter on opening day, while I run around screaming.

Yesterday I managed to score a Bunn Pouromatic restaurant-style coffee brewer and an old dresser we'll be converting into an espresso counter, both on the cheap. All the purchasing for the coffee end of things is more or less done at this point, and the cash register should be on its way to my place even as we speak. Mostly what we still have to buy includes the stereo system, paint and cleaning supplies.

Painting starts next week. Who's in?

No comments: