Friday, June 30, 2006

The Goods

Last night I promised Kevin I'd at least part way come through on this blog's stated purpose of detailing what goes into opening a record store. In fact, I promised I'd do so before two o'clock this afternoon. Hold onto your hats kids.

This afternoon, Luke and I will be meeting with the bank to talk about loan stuff. The first thing to know about opening a record store is that it is more expensive than, say, shopping at a record store. So we are trying to find a bank that will give us a goodly sum of funds.

Also this week, there's been the raging debate over whether the shelving units being built by my former roommate will be built out of plywood or MDF. "MDF" is kind of a low-rent plywood, which costs half as much but takes a whole bunch of work to finish. If anyone digs huffing polyeurythane, I may have a job for you in late July.

The sign permit has been submitted and we're waiting for approval. Also hoping to get Chi, our contractor guy, into the store to look at walls that might be prime for knockin' down. There will be pictures as soon as that happens. Pictures of destruction. And then later, construction. The discussion of storefront colors has begun, but has not yet reached the "looking at paint samples with overwrought names" stage.

I'm also working on getting furniture for the listening area. My "clever" plan to convince one of the local furniture stores to consign items in the shop has so far yielded no response. If this doesn't come together, I'll be faced with that age old furnishing dilemma: Ikea or Hub's Place?

Told you it'd be exciting. More details as they become available, more songs later this afternoon. If you've got nothing planned tonight, Drag Ball, Lost Dog. At least part of the proceeds go to me, which means they go to the record store, which means in a roundabout way, they benefit you. So come benefit yourself. Also there will be dancing.

No comments: