Tuesday, June 27, 2006

For Your Achy Breaky Heart: Sampler #2 Tracks 1-5


As we embark on this second mix cd together, I should explain the bifurcated nature of this particular beast. At this point in my life, I've had to start listening to music in a number of different ways. Does it rock? Will it sell? Does it make me intensely happy when I'm sitting on my couch with my cat? Would it be appropriate for a drag ball or 70's rock night?

With that in mind, each of these tracks will include usage directions, like drugs! Incidentally, the drug I am currently hooked on (in addition to standard caffiene and alcohol consumption) is celery. I am convincing myself this is having fantastic health benefits.

Also, many thanks to SS for the cover image. AD just sent me a shot that nearly displaced it, but this shot from a plaque next to a defibrilator in Tennessee won out.

Tracks!!!!

Been So Long- Vetiver
The creek outside is all a rage since it's been raining a bit, so my apartment gets this quiet rushing water sound that's almost indistinguishable from the 60-cycle hum of speakers left on. Sometimes I imagine this song rising out of that creek noise at night. Devendra-protege (has anyone not been mentored by Devendra Banhart?) Andy Cabic and friends have put together songs that are full of so much space you could go walking around in them, and is one of the strongest lyricists on the freakfolk front, writing lyrics that are thrifty and perfectly suited to the instrumentation.

Directions: This track, and all of "To Find Me Gone" should be applied to your porch and backyard. Use with citronella candles.

Ladyflash- The Go! Team
Once the drum locks in over the Midnight Cowboy-style sample and looping strings, there is no way to get out of this song. The Go! Team's "Thunder, Lightning, Strike!" has been compared to "Paul's Boutique" in it's sheer ability to embrace everything this British cheerleader troupe can get their samplin' little fingers on, but this track reminds me mostly of the highpoints on The Avalanches' "Since I Met You", with more of a focus on songs. While The Avalanches sometimes play their samples for a laugh, The Go! Team plays everything, samples, drums, tinkling keyboards and their own vocals, for kicks.

Directions: Take one with pep rally.

And I Was a Boy From School- Hot Chip
The past couple weeks have been so tough for full album listening. Between Vetiver, two settlers albums and the new Sonic Youth, it took me a bit to get around to Hot Chip's "The Warning" even though HAT told me months ago after a live performance in NYC that she had seen the future and it was a bunch of dudes standing behind keyboards. The song starts of with a tense little keyboard part that runs throughout and the band builds and pulls back over the beat to a haunting effect.

Directions: Primarily intended for car stereo use. May be drag ball appropriate (ask me on Saturday).

To Die A Virgin- The Divine Comedy
This song was too much of a blantant Bowie homage for me not to fall madly in love with it. In fact, I just heard it this morning for the first time and said "Hot damn, that's going on the sampler!" I'm trying to decide whether it belongs on "Low" or "Heroes". Throwing every Eno-period Bowie cliche together isn't enough for the Divine Comedy, though. They also amp up Bowie's sense of humor (Bowie had a sense of humor, right? Everyone else thinks TVC 15 is hilarious, right?) vamping on seductive lines like "With all the bombs and the bird flu/we're probably going to be dead soon/and here we are in your bedroom/Did I tell you I love you?"

Directions: Actually I have no idea.

Lollipop- The Hidden Cameras
Anyone who can figure out the lyrics to this song wins my undying love. Or five bucks. If you don't know, the Hidden Cameras are comprised at least in part of semiotics grad students from the University of Toronto. Which leads me to believe they may actually just be making non-signifying noises on this track. The new Cameras album, "Awoo" won't hit the US til September, but the stuff floating around out there has the same rat-tat-tat drumming and rhythm guitar that made "Mississauga Goddam" sound like a gay Canadian version of the Supremes on speed (yes, that's it exactly), but other than this wonderfully frantic rush, sound more unified, with Joel Gibb's voice playing off the xylophones rather that just doubling them, and floating string arrangements.

Directions: Best suited for dancing in apartment alone.

Be sure to come out to Korova this evening for the end of two eras. One is the Era of Twice Shy Tuesdays, which will come to an end, only to rise again as the Era of Twice Shy Thursdays. The other is the Era of Erik in Ithaca, which will come to an end, only to rise again as the Era of Erik in New York Becoming Wildly Famous. Plus, it'll be your first chance to see the thoroughly awesome No Radio teeshirts, designed by the above mentioned Erik. Like the samplers, the teeshirts are part of the Summer of Potlatch, so ask and you shall recieve. All we ask in return is that you ramble to your friends and loved ones about the amazing new record store opening at the end of the summer, at any given opportunity. Which you were probably going to do anyway.

Extr

No comments: