Thursday, June 22, 2006

Dreaming of Canada

Anyone feel like driving to Toronto tomorrow night? It's a nice drive and Toronto is a very clean city. Plus, Jay Mascis (of Dinosaur Jr) will be playing with Broken Social Scene (of pretty much every band in Canada). Not opening for, mind you, but playing with. Word is it's a one time thing, but I have faith in the ability of wily Canadian kids to sneak recording equipment in and out of the show. Hopefully, we'll be hearing this stuff by Monday. BSS may say they're dreaming of Pavement, but maybe the kids have a wee little crush on some old Dinosaur Jr stuff, maybe you think?

Ibi Dreams of Pavement- Broken Social Scene


Green Mind- Dinosaur Jr


Of course, no one ever really goes to Toronto. Sure, they talk about it, but no one ever really goes. Those of us who are staying town-bound might be interested in hitting up the Books Through Bars benefit at Castaways tomorrow night. The Settlers, mentioned here just the other day, are playing along with Johnny Dowd, Thousands of One and some other bands I don't know. Show starts at nine and the moneys go to a great charity that sends books to prisoners across New York State.

Keep an eye on the Ithaca Journal this week, there should be a story coming out on the burgeoning record store scene in Ithaca. I don't exactly know what it will say, but I should admit that the interviewer woke me up and started in on the questions, so I might not have been at my peak smartness. No one is at their peak smartness before they put on pants. Pants equals smarts.

Lastly, in the "Yes, I'll agree to anything department', apparently I'm DJing a drag ball at the Lost Dog Lounge next Friday. Last week I was asked to DJ a "fundraiser", and today at lunch I found out that "fundraiser" meant "drag ball". My first wedding and my first drag ball, all in one month. June is a month for pioneering, and has extra long days to provide time for extra pioneering. Pioneer something this week, before it's too late!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i don't know....i always thought you were pretty smart with your pants off, too....