Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Stupid Bloody Tuesday

Continuing with the new musics! Hooray for the return of our espresso machine!

Dirty Projectors- "Rise Above" With a couple more listens, this one could well replace Animal Collective as my favorite album of the week. Not as frantic, obviously, but just as complex and far more fleshed out than previous albums by the Projectors. They've grown into a rock band, and it kind of rocks. Sometimes a band just needs to get in touch with their muse, and it turns out for these guys that muse was Henry Rollins.

The Go! Team- I've already forgotten what this album is called. Their first one was loaded with hooks, every other song was a pop hit. This one feels slick, slippery. I hope I'll get back to listen through it again, but chances are strong I won't.

Black Lips- "Good Bad Not Evil"- One of those bands who's just good at what they're doing. The Black Lips won't change anybody's life like hearing the Sonics for the first time, and this album is not all that different from previous efforts, but it plugs along like a late model Honda Civic. Straight garage, solid driving music.

St. Vincent- "Marry Me". No. Wispy, meandering. I actually forgot I had it on.

Shout Out Louds- "Our Ill Wills" Holy Swedish! Shiny pop from Scandinavia, The SOLs are like candy. Lyrics that indicate English is only their second language and melodies that prove pop music is their native tongue. Listened through it twice today, grinning vapidly. I like me some vapid grinning.

Know what else I like? Posters by Laura Brothers!

I can't remember if I'm US or UK, but this should be a big ol' throwdown. Which I also like.

No comments: