Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Scattered shots...

Joyce said the broken mirror is the symbol of Irish art. Of course, Mick said that time is on my side and frankly time and I are staring at each other across a line of scrimmage right now, so maybe one shouldn't trust everything one hears from across the pond. But if Joyce is right, my brain is currently the symbol of Irish art. Meaning I have the attention span of a Stiff Little Fingers song.

Which is to say, I haven't had any new musical obsessions of late and music has become more background noise than anything else. This was one of my primary fears opening the store, and while I'm sure it will pass, for right now my turntable is gathering dust. The week before last was spent largely researching and writing about Ithaca's new roller derby team, last week was a piece on pig farming and charcuterie which will hopefully see daylight tomorrow, and this week I've been jotting down notes for the other blog and wondering how I can make this into an article. And for whom. There's just so much I don't know about the circus arts. Does anyone know of any particularly good lit on clown colleges?

Also, in my capacity as drink-makin' monkey, I'm making a summer transition from whiskey to gin. I know, it's sacreligious and I will probably keep it like a secret when I visit the NYC for SchubertFest on Saturday (scroll down a bit). But a fellow ginthusiast has highly recommended I go to Death + Company, so a pre-rock show pilgrimage may be in order.

In other news, the book is back on definite go status after a month or so in a gray area. After some scheduling shifts and a fair brutalizing from the surviving member of the band in question, it looks like late September is the new July. On the bright side, that means I might have a free minute in July to get out of town, on the downside it means the advance check that's supposed to pay off the brand spanking new computer I'm currently typing on may slip even farther into the future.

New York crew, see you at Fontana's this Saturday, n'est pas?

1 comment:

Burl Veneer said...

"Which is to say, I haven't had any new musical obsessions of late and music has become more background noise than anything else. This was one of my primary fears opening the store, and while I'm sure it will pass, for right now my turntable is gathering dust."

I know exactly what you mean, I had my own record store for a couple years and it completely killed my interest in music. It took me over ten years to get it back!