Thursday, September 21, 2006

Return to Shelf Life: Z

As many of you already know, launching the good ship record store involved the total looting of my CD collection. And vinyl collection. Total. Every time I look at my shelves, I've been getting that Old Mother Hubbard feeling.

We have a remedy! (we have?)

So I've started giving myself an allowance of one CD per week. And being, well, slightly off in my thinking, I decided I would start from the end of the alphabet and work backwards, picking out one album for each letter. Which brings us to our first account of my slowly restocking shelves:

Odessey and Oracle by the Zombies

A couple weekends ago I was attacked by Zombies on the Commons. It was a wonderful way to end an evening, swarmed by attractive people in hideous makeup, mauled and gently gnawed on. I think Odessey and Oracle is probably an awful way to end an evening. I can't imagine listening to this album and then wanting to go to bed. It does make for a brilliant start to the day, sunny piano and seventy-three part harmonies with your morning coffee.

No comments: